Friday, August 28, 2015

All the things I would miss


I thought I would miss it
the adrenaline rush (daily)
the pace of the crises multiple
times a day
the conflict, the collaboration
the meetings, hallway talks,
all the ways work happens

I thought I would miss
the routine of the commute
arrival and departure
the occasional journeys,
and talking about the politics
of the politics of the workplace,
the office, the village of cubicles
radiating through pixels
across the planet

As it turns out, I do miss the people,
the ones I worked closest with,
but as for the rest of it,
I don’t miss it at all

Photograph by Paul Brennan via Public Domain Pictures. Used with permission.

3 comments:

Maureen said...

That really is the secret of retirement: Finding there is so much life to live when you no longer have to go to the office.

diana said...

So get this and SO agree. The people, yes. The rest of it? Not so much. Welcome to this interesting, vital, and quite agreeable stage of life called early retirement. Enjoy your health, your family, travel and the work that your hand finds to do. It will be good, some of the richest years of your entire life. I promise.

nancy marie davis said...

all the more time to write poetry...?
congrats, i was not aware that you exited the building.